jeremysaccount@gmail.com

Saturday, October 6, 2007

What The....

Ok, I think I've done a pretty decent job of staying totally focused on free tv on the internet, but this new technology I ran into is just mind-blowing and I have to post something on it.

So, now let's say you've found the free tv on the internet solution that fits what you're looking for. Now you've got tv, radio, IM and text messages, and much more all running for free on your system. What's missing? For me, one of the key interactive tools I use almost everyday is Skype. And it's great. The call quality has been fantastic. However, as I also have plenty of friends and family who don't use Skype, I make just as many calls with it to fixed landline phones or cell phones. Considering I'm abroad all the time, $.02 cents a minute to make a call from, say, Germany to the US doesn't seem unreasonable. Actually, it's much less than any calling card you'll find.

But cell phone calls do add up, and I'm always on the lookout for something to get around this. Enter pudding.

With Pudding, you can make free unlimited calls to any phone in the US or Canada, all from your web browser, and no software to install, nothing. YES! When I saw this I nearly flipped out. So where's the catch? Surely they aren't doing this out of the kindness of their hearts. Well, depending on your point of view, the catch is either simply an afterthought, or one of the most terrifying invasions of privacy you'll come across.

Pudding uses voice recognition technology to "listen in" on your conversations, and as you speak, key words are analyzed. All the while, pudding uses this to display on your screen various websites, images, news and advertisements that correspond.

This is really genius. And really evil genius. Most people won't even think twice about using this service. The phone company is ripping them off, and they are bombarded with internet ads all day anyway, why not take the free calls? I'm probably in this camp. But just think of all the evil implications.

Click HERE to watch a pretty cool video presentation by the directors of Pudding, you'll get a better idea of how it works. Good stuff.

No comments:

BlogCatalog