jeremysaccount@gmail.com

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Previously Aired TV


If you're simply looking to watch some old episodes of television series, the site I like best is Joost.com.

At first I got really excited about it, and it's hard not to. The whole site and user platform has that unmistakable Mac OSX look and feel. It just looks cool.

And for some people, the selection is more than adequate. They claim to have over 15,000 different shows up at this point with more than 250 channels. However, when they say "channels" that doesn't necessarily mean the television stations you are used to. Some of them are user created content, and others come from who knows where, but aren't really the marquee stuff you'd expect to see. And on select channels, like Comedy Central, don't expect to see shows like "The Daily Show" or "South Park." Even so, there are some that seem to be popular these days, and series like CSI are available.

There are a couple of problems that make this not something I use very often. First, not all of the programs are available outside of the US. In fact, a lot of them aren't. I'm oversees more than I am here, so this just doesn't work for me.

Besides the lack of content, the biggest issue that I have with this, and most other services like it, is that it's not really TV. TV for me means laying on the coach and surfing through channels until I find what I like. That means being able to come in to a program that's already in progress and not have to interrupt myself each time by closing a window, browsing titles, reading descriptions, and then starting a whole other thing from the beginning.

Still, if you're thoroughly bored, it's one of the better sites out there for previously-aired content.

No comments:

BlogCatalog